Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Review: A Wedding in December


 In Anita Shreve's ensemble novel, seven former high school friends reunite for a wedding in the Berkshires, 26 years after their graduation. This Big Chill–like gathering stirs old passions and feuds, some of which have been festering since the death of a charismatic schoolmate at a high school party. As usual, Shreve puts her characters through the emotional wringer before she sets them out to dry. Wedding in December is one of her most effective and moving works.  ~ From Goodreads

I enjoyed the concept of high school friends reuniting after twenty-seven years, but the way the author carried out the concept left something to be desired.  The book was at its best when the characters were interacting with each other.  I enjoyed the scenes between Harrison and Nora.  I would have been quite happy if the entire story was just about them.  The story, however, included a large cast of characters, many of whom didn't get the page space they deserved. 

Unfortunately, the author chose to cut back on the interactions between characters and include letters and Anges' story.  I was especially annoyed by the number of pages wasted on the story.  I wanted to skim past it, but I wasn't sure if it was important so I kept slogging through it.  In the end, I think the story should have been cut or severely shortened.  Its inclusion was distracting and clunky. 

This book could have been very good, but in the end, its just okay.  This is the first book I read by Anita Shrieve.  I would be willing to read more of her books, but I don't think this one is rereadable.

No comments:

Post a Comment