Friday, February 10, 2012

Midnight in Austenland - A Review

I find myself utterly perplexed as I consider Shannon Hale’s Midnight in Austenland. I really have no idea how to write a review for this book. No idea. There are just so many things wrong with it that I don’t even know where to begin. I mean I could start with how the author seems so astounded by her own cleverness that she feels she must include every (supposedly) witty line, even if its totally awkward and out of place in the narrative. I could also start with how the main character so little resembles a real person that I wanted the murderer to kill her just so I could spend more time with the more likeable, if not more realistic, characters.

Overall, this book was just so, soooo dumb. I didn’t expect it to be brilliant, but I did expect to enjoy it as a fluffy and fun read. This book was fluffy, but it was not fun. I wanted to fling it across the room by the end. Will you please tell me who stops to look at books when you are wandering around in a burned out building looking for a murderer? Who kisses a murderer just so he will not have the bad memory of trying to kill you (for the second time!!!) when he is in prison? And, most importantly, who would not have fun at Austenland? Why are all Shannon Hale’s heroines so unhappy there? This is the place most Janeites would call the happiest place on earth! I know I would. I disliked her from the beginning because she was all nervous and snarky about Austenland. I’m like, come on! Its like being on Regency House Party! What wouldn’t be fun about that?

Basically, if you are a Jane Austen fan, I recommend reading something else (anything else), because why would you want to waste your time reading a book in which circumstances force the heroine to utter: “It needs to be said that we’re not really brother and sister”?

No comments:

Post a Comment