Monday, August 16, 2010

The Many Faces of Mr. Darcy

(I'm not including Laurence Olivier from the 1940 edition because that movie really has no semblance to the book.  It looks more like an adaptation of Little Women.)

Edition: Pride and Prejudice 1980
Actor: David Rintoul
My Opinion: He was a surprisingly good Darcy - except for the fact that he never gets any nicer.  He was a bit apathetic overall. Still, he did do prideful pretty well.  The Elizabeth was also decent.  The miniseries was made almost unwatchable, however, because of Mrs. Bennet's horrible acting.


Edition: Pride and Prejudice 1995
Actor: Colin Firth
My Opinion: The best Mr. Darcy.  He's not perfect, but in my opinion, no one other that Ricard Armitage could be the perfect Darcy.  He does prideful well and he never resorts to being weepy.  He also does a wonderful transformation halfway through the movie.  The first time I watched the miniseries, it took me awhile to warm up to him, but now he's my favorite.

Edition: Pride and Prejudice 2003
Actor: Orlando Seale
My Opinion: I love this movie.  Its nearly impossible to find, but its the best modern day Austen adaptation.  Its been awhile since I've seen it, but I think Orlando is still my second favorite Darcy.  He's more socially awkward than prideful, but he's still fun to watch.  Elizabeth is an author in this one and Bingley makes CDs for dogs.  Its basically awesome overall.

Edition: Bride and Prejudice
Actor: Martin Henderson
My Opinion:  Alright, you don't watch this movie for the acting. Its all about the dancing and singing.  This Darcy is alright.  He's a bit too much of a dork for my taste.  I love the movie anyway because of the snake dance and because Sayid from LOST is Bingley.

Edition: Lost in Austen
Actor: Elliot Cowen
My Opinion: He's fine as Darcy.  At least, he's not weepy.  Jemima Rooper, however, steals the show in this edition as Amanda Price, the modern girl caught up in Pride and Prejudice.  The real treat of the miniseries is when she asks Darcy to recreate the lake scene from the 1995 version.

Edition: Pride and Prejudice 2005
Actor: Matthew Macfadyen
My Opinion: I really do like him as an actor, but the director or writer or whoever made Darcy too weepy in this version.  He reminds me of Colin Farrell in The New World and that isn't a good thing.  He could have been a really good Darcy, but someone thought a socially awkward, moody Darcy would be better than a more traditional Darcy.  Oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment