Friday, December 16, 2011

The Fellowship of the Ring


The 19th of December will mark the 10th anniversary of the release of The Fellowship of the Ring in theaters.  Back when it was released, I was a thirteen year old on the cusp of becoming a full fledged geek.  I had read children's fantasy for several years but experiencing Lord of the Rings, both movies and books, marked my irrevocable entrance into geekdom. 

I saw that first movie five times in the theater - each time with a different set of people.  I saw it first with my parents for my dad's birthday.   I remember the sort of breathless excitement I had going in that first time.  I wanted so much to know what it was going to be like, but, at the same time, I dreaded it.  I wondered who would play Pippin?  Would they include Tom Bombadil?  Would they change everything?   Would it be awful?  I waited as the trailers played through and the haunting music began.  Then that breathy prologue started began, and I knew I wasn't going to be disappointed.  I loved that movie from beginning to end, and I'll never forget the euphoric feeling of experiencing that movie for the first time.       

After watching LOTR, I began chain reading other epic fantasy series like Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time and Terry Brooks' Sword of Shannara series.    I fell in love with other fantasy movies like Willow and Ladyhawke.  I talked incessantly about hobbits and followed the actors online.  My cousin and I wrote slash laden stories for each other and made Pippiny cards and shirts for all occasions.  I wrote quiz books and made unfortunately long LOTR inspired skits at youth group movie nights.  I waited with baited breath for the next movie to come out and then the next.      

It was such a fun time to be introduced to the fantasy genre.  I was able to see LOTR in the theater and collect all the fun, geeky toys and game as they were released.  I was able to watch award shows and root on writers, directors, and films for the first time.  I could talk to all sorts of people about the stories and the characters and the actors.  I really was able to feel a sense of community over these books and movies which is something I've only ever experienced since with Harry Potter.  

I will always cherish my time as an unabashed LOTR fan.  I might not love the movies as much as I used to or EVER plan to read the books again, but this series introduced me to fantasy and to a community of really interesting and enthusiastic people.  And for that, I will always be thankful.  

No comments:

Post a Comment